Guess a Quote [10.5.15]

Pride and Prejudice [GAQ]Last week we hit on a quote that plenty of people could “fangirl” over. As many of you already guessed, the quote came from Pride and Prejudice, the beloved Jane Austen classic. Lina-Ruth, Sneha, Elisabeth, Morgan Huneke,Victoria NightSky, proverbs31teen, Brooke, Emily Ruth, Addyson, Amanda Beguerie, littlebookblog, Amanda, Hanna R, and emilydm544 all got it right! Great job, all of you!

Something that particularly amused me last week was two alterations of the original Austen quote. Morgan Huneke provided a “Whovian” version:

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a mad mad in possession of a blue box must be in want of a companion.

And Amanda Beguerie provided a short-girl version fromΒ Water Princess, Fire Princess:

It is a fact universally acknowledged that a short girl in pursuit of something above her head must be in want of some young man to get it down for her.

Those fun alterations gave me an idea. In addition to guessing the quote this week, make up your own variation of last weeks quote (you may submit up to three variations). At the end of the week, I’ll compile them and put it up so everyone can vote for a winner. The winner will get a free book or two from me. Go!

And now for this week’s quote. It’s another well-known quote, and one I’m quite fond of.

…there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought [here], that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.

1. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I love that scene, it always gave me goosebumps.

2. I know it’s from Narnia…but which book, I don’t know.
    Ooh! I’ll be back later with a new version…hehehe…

3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader. One of my favorites. πŸ™‚

4. No clue. But, dang it, I knew that last one! I missed the post, though. πŸ˜› The whovian one made me laugh. πŸ˜„

5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader! I knew it immediately.

6. Voyage of the Dawn Treader (at least, that was what movie it was in; that quote may have been in a different book and I just don’t remember). πŸ˜„
    I will be back later with a new version of it… πŸ˜‰

7. Voyage of the Dawn Treader, said by Aslan.

And maybe in a couple days I’ll be back with with a creative variant. πŸ˜‰

8. Okay. My version of the P&P quote.

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a student in possession of a boatload of CLEP textbooks and schoolwork must be in want of a vacation.”
    (The student is not kidding.) By the way…if we think of more variants, can we post them? Or are we only entitled to one?

9. Eeeek! The Chronicles of Narnia, one of my faves! πŸ˜€ I’m pretty sure it was in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Such a sad-happy moment!!! ❀
    Hmmm… Different version of that quote.
    "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a superhero in pursuit of a villain must be in want of a sidekick." -C.B. Cook (aka me)
    Wow, I really like how that turned out…

10. Jonathan G.

/  October 5, 2015

Voyage of the Dawn Treader! Go Narnia!

11. Jonathan G.

/  October 5, 2015

It is a truth universally accepted that a guy with time on his hands is in need of a fishing trip.

12. Abby

/  October 5, 2015

It’s definitely The Chronicles of Narnia… The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I think.

13. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a bookworm at the end of a story is in want of a new book.

14. That’s definitely Narnia, pretty sure it’s Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

15. “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” by C.S. Lewis! Knew it as soon as I started reading! Love, love those books!

/  October 5, 2015

Definitely Narnia but had to check the book, I remembered it being at the end of the movie (which we just watched for the first time (the book is better (duh))) but wanted to double check they hadn’t moved it. πŸ™‚

It is a fact universally acknowledged that if a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he also must also be in pursuit of a strag to give him a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc.

It is a fact that is unfortunately not universally acknowledged that a human in pursuit salvation must be in want of some savior to get it for them.

• What is a strag? #curious

And I really like your second variation (though sad that it’s not universally acknowledged).

• Spencer R.

/  October 6, 2015

It’s a Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy reference. I can’t recommend all of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy but it has a lot of good laugh lines. Towards the beginning, Douglas Adams is explaining the importance of an interstellar hitchhiker keeping his towel with him throughout his journeys through the galaxy. It is good to always have your towel with you because

“… a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might accidentally have “lost”. What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.”

πŸ™‚

17. “It is a truth universally acknowledged that any artsy girl is in want of another one to be her sister.”
    Inspired by MY little sister; we have very similar interests and personalities!

18. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I love that quote. Only surpassed by the ending of the last book in the series. I love those books so much!

19. Lina-Ruth

/  October 5, 2015

Hey, it’s Voyage of the Dawn Treader! I love this series!

Now, for my variation:
    It is a fact universally acknowledged that a bookworm will never leave the library with only one book.
    It’s not that great… but I’m still thinking up some more!

20. Here is my version of the P&P quote:
    “It is a truth universally acknowledged that a fangirl in possession of a voice must be in want of a friend to fangirl with.”

β€œIt is a truth universally acknowledged that though the odds may never be in your favor, you are still in want of a happy ever after.”

That is all I can think of, for now!

21. We can do three? This is my second one then (I HAD to do one Lord of the Rings-ish one πŸ™‚ ):
    “It is a truth universally acknowledged (except in the Shire) that any hobbit who lives a peaceful, uninteresting life is in want of an adventure to go on.”

22. Ahh, Voyage of the Dawn Treader. ❀ πŸ™‚

My variation of the quote?

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that an author with an overactive imagination is probably not in want of another three dozen plot bunnies that will come anyway." πŸ˜›

23. Oathofgod

/  October 7, 2015

Narnia πŸ™‚

24. Sarah D

/  October 8, 2015

From my favorite series, by my favorite author ever. Read it more times that I can remember. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.