Guess a Quote (1.12.15)

Guess a Quote [Philippians]

…but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. –Philippians 3:13b-14

Well, we had a lot of fun with our New Year’s quote, didn’t we? 🙂 I’ve never tried doing a Bible verse before because I couldn’t figure out how to work it. (Just saying the quote came from the Bible would be way too easy!) This seemed to work well, though. We’ll have to do it again sometime!

As you can see, last week’s quote was Philippians 3:13b-14. There was a lot of variety in the guessing, which was fun. Addyson, Amanda Beguerie, and Spencer R. all knew it came from one of Paul’s letters. Sneha, CJ, and Jonathan G. all guessed it came from Philippians. Rachael Grace and Emily Ruth said Philippians 3. And the grand prize goes to Amanda who said “Philippians 3:13-14.” Great job everyone!

As long as we’re talking about Bible verses, what’s your favorite Bible verse? Mine is John 14:27.

Now. This week’s quote. It’s the opening line from an old favorite that I finally got my own copy of.

A boy stood on the path of the mountain overlooking the sea. He was a tall boy, with little trace of youth in his lean, hard body. At eighteen [he] was unmistakably a Galilean, with the bold features of his countrymen, the sun-browned skin, and the brilliant dark eyes that could light with fierce patriotism and blacken with swift anger.

1. That is from The Bronze Bow by Elisabeth George Speare. One of my favorite books!

My favorite Bible verse would have to be Proverbs 3:5-6. It’s one of the best, though technically they’re all good.

2. Ooh, it’s too hard to pick a favorite Bible verse, I like too many. One of the top ones would be Psalm 37:5.

The quote is from The Bronze Bow by Elisabeth George Speare. I knew it instantly. It’s an amazing book. So is The Witch of Blackbird Pond.

• Amanda Beguerie

/  January 12, 2015

Haha sorry, I didnt mean to copy you in my opening with “ooh”. 😛

3. Amanda Beguerie

/  January 12, 2015

Ooh, I love this book! I should read it again. It’s The Bronze Bow by Elisabeth George Speare.

My favorite Bible verse would have to be Galatians 2:20. “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”

/  January 12, 2015

My favorite verses would be Psalm 1. I got saved after reading them. (-:

As to the quote, by only guess is The Bronze Bow but it has been quite awhile since I read it so I could be off.

• Spencer R.

/  January 13, 2015

Hey, you took out my title. Must have gotten it right then. (-:

5. Lina

/  January 12, 2015

It’s The Bronze Bow!!! I read this several years ago, but the style is still unmistakeable.

I have several Bible verses I like, but Jeremiah 33:3 is a favorite. It is sometimes referred to as “God’s phone number- JER333” 🙂

6. The Bronze Bow!

7. Whooo! I won a “grand prize”? This never happens. LOL 🙂 That was a memory verse of mine a while ago. I had to think about it for a while before I remembered the reference, though.

Oooooh! I know this week’s quote, too! The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare.

I don’t think I have a favorite Bible verse. It changes a lot, if I do. 😉 I’ve always been particularly fond of Philippians 4:6-8, though, and Joshua 10:13 has memories attached that make me smile. (Namely, when I was trying to memorize it for school many years ago, I would try to repeat it every time I saw “10:13” on the clock. I still do it sometimes to this day…) But as I’ve been memorizing chapters of Matthew for my church’s Bible Quiz team, I had a “funny favorite” (Matthew 22:46–“And no man was able to answer him a word. Neither durst any man from that day forth ask him any more questions.” I loved that because it’s like, finally! They got some sense!) and two favorites from chapter 10 (verses 19–“But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak, for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak”–and 27–“What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light; and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops.”).

Woah…that got kind of long, but I did say I didn’t have a favorite 😉

8. One of my favorite Bible verses is Jonah 2:8 – “Those who follow worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs.”

9. The Bronze Bow, isn’t it?