Story Friends: Help Pick a Cover Design

Help Pick a Cover Design

*This survey has ended. Click here to learn more about Counted Worthy.

Hello everyone. In case you missed the grand opening of the Story Shop, please go ahead and check it out. The Story Shop is a project I’m testing. The idea is that you get to participate in games, surveys, and other activities to earn points. You can then redeem those points for prizes listed in the Story Shop.

This survey is to help me pick a cover design for my novel Counted Worthy. Counted Worthy is set in the future. It is narrated by a teenage girl who is a member of the persecuted church. You can read more about it here. I’m in the beginning stages of self-publishing this story, and I want it to have a fantastic cover. The covers below belong to previously published, unrelated books. I’m not endorsing any of them. I haven’t even read all of them. It’s the design that matters. For any of the options, I’d take the general concept and substitute images and designs that fit Counted Worthy. Which design do you like best? Which of these books would you be most likely to buy based on cover design alone.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Leave a comment stating which book design you voted for. You will be awarded one point for voting, but only if you leave a comment. I can’t give you your point if I don’t know who you are. Earn additional points by sharing this post on social media and sending me the link to your share.

1. I submit my opinion. 🙂

2. Melody

/  July 2, 2014

Oh, this is a hard choice, Leah! But I picked one. 🙂

3. Jennifer Sauer

/  July 2, 2014

Submitted my option ^.^ I picked “Terra” because it’s the one I would be most likely to pick up if all the books were sitting on a table together. That’s the one I would look at first, anyway…

4. I prefer the minimalistic approach myself. The Terra looks too “YA” and Enemy Brothers looks too homemade. God’s smuggler looks good, but I think the minimalistic would be far more eye catching.

• Becky B.

/  July 8, 2014

I agree 100% Emily Ruth! Except, I like God’s Smuggler and White Fang equally. (I guess that puts me at 95%…)

Of course, Leah, it all depends on the audience you’re aiming to attract. I think that a younger audience would be enticed by the Enemy Brothers cover (maybe Terra also), I think older teens+ would be intrigued by a more subtle cover such as God’s Smuggler and White Fang.

5. I submitted my opinion. I picked Terra because it has the most eye catching cover in my opinion. I liked the use of the flash of light on the cover because it reminds me of Heather being a light unto the world:)

6. Speaking as someone who stresses a LOT over the covers of my books, I actually think that the graphic you’ve got at the top of this post would make a great cover. Just turn it (or the full picture on your book page) so that its orientation is portrait instead of landscape and add the title of the book and your name. I’d definitely pick up a book with that cover! 🙂

7. Ella

/  July 3, 2014

I like Terra the best. fits the story most in my opinion 🙂

8. oathofgod

/  July 3, 2014

I like Terra, but I will agree with Eisabeth Allen that the Picture on the top is the best. 🙂

9. OnionTea

/  July 3, 2014

Personally, I really like the Terra cover. One, is because it feels more modern
    and appropriate for the futuristic, dystopian theme you’ve got goin’ in your
    book. Two, is that I just think it looks like an actual fictional book cover that
    I would see today and would be something that someone (maybe even
    someone unsaved!) would actually pick up and be interested to read. 🙂

10. I picked Terra because I think it looks the coolest. It looks most interesting and professional. Though, the covers of the Echoes from the Edge series by Bryan Davis, the ones with the reflections, are probably the neatest book covers I’ve seen.

11. I like Terra. 🙂

12. Happy

/  July 5, 2014

The cover for God’s Smuggler looks like a good concept to me. I like how only
    the feet are showing on the cover and it appears that the person is fleeing or
    escaping something. It also provides room for my imagination for how the
    characters would look like. Anytime I see a face on a cover and read the book,
    I am hoping the image on the cover is accurately portraying what the
    character (in my imagination) should look like. When I feel that a person
    on a cover does not do the story justice, I feel a little disappointed. That’s
    why I prefer the God’s Smuggler cover.

13. I like “Enemy Brothers.” It seems to promise a thrilling, meaningful tale. 🙂 “God’s Smuggler” seems too minimalistic, “Terra” like just another cheap juvenile fiction, and “White Fang” doesn’t fit the idea of your book at all. 😉

14. I picked Terra. My second choice would be God’s smuggler though 😉

15. I also like the idea of the picture you have at the top…

16. Ruth

/  July 9, 2014

I chose the “God’s Smuggler one because its simple yet mysterious. Usually with book covers, the less there is the more professional it looks. The Enemy Brothers has too much of a hand drawn look, the White Fang looks very stereotyped to a certain type of book, and the Terra cover just looked like a book that would have a lot of questionable content.

17. Anne

/  July 12, 2014

I picked Enemy Brothers. Good luck with your book! 🙂

/  July 16, 2014

I picked “Terra” but that’s best with a good, strong subtitle. If you don’t have a subtitle designed that way, White Fang would be my favorite.