Guess a Quote (6.02.14)

Question MarkHello everyone! Finally back for another guess a quote. Last time there were two May birthdays to announce. It’s kind of fun getting to wish readers happy birthday, so…any June birthdays out there?

Anyway. Our last quote came from White Fang, by Jack London. Elisabeth Sullivan and Ella both got it right, and Dirk guessed the correct author. Has anyone else read any of Jack London’s books? What did you think of them?

Here’s the quote for this week. It’s a fun one that I’m hoping most of you will be able to guess…er, deduce. 😉

1. Knowledge of Literature: Nil.
2. Knowledge of Philosophy: Nil.
3. Knowledge of Astronomy: Nil.
4. Knowledge of Politics: Feeble.
5. Knowledge of Botany: Variable. Well up in belladonna, opium, and poisons generally. Knows nothing of practical gardening.
6. Knowledge of Geology: Practical but limited. Tells at a glance different soils from each other. After walks has shown me splashes upon his trousers, and told me by their colour and consistence in what part of London he had received them.
7. Knowledge of Chemistry: Profound.
8. Knowledge of Anatomy: Accurate but unsystematic.
9. Knowledge of Sensational Literature: Immense. He appears to know every detail of every horror perpetrated in the century.
10. Plays the violin well.
11. Is an expert singlestick player, boxer, and swordsman.
12. Has a good practical knowledge of British law.

1. “A Study in Scarlet” by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The one and only.

2. This is definitely describing Sherlock Holmes. I have read the short stories, but unfortunately have not gotten to the novels. I will read them soon! I am guessing that it is either from Study in Scarlet or the Sign of Four.

3. Ahahahaha! A description of Sherlock Holmes in “A Study in Scarlet” 😉 One of my favorite parts of the SH books!

4. I’m guessing that it is a Study in Scarlet or Sign of the Four, but I’m not 100% sure. 🙂

/  June 3, 2014

I know it’s a Sherlock Holmes, but I don’t remember which mystery. 😛

/  June 3, 2014

Oh wait… it’s the first one isn’t it? A Study In Scarlet. I think… I’m not sure. 😛

7. A Study in Scarlet. I read it on my family’s D.C. trip when we were driving aroud to battlefields in the area, and it was the highlight of the day.

8. Very interesting quote! Made me smile. I had not heard it before but looked it up on GoodReads; Arthur Conan Doyle’s A Study in Scarlet. I guess that doesn’t really count as knowing because I had to look it up. 😉

9. Becky B.

/  June 5, 2014

Well, deducing which character was described above was Elementary, my dear Leah… however, the “Adventures of Sherlock Holmes” are still on my “to read” list, so I’d have to retreat to my “mind palace” in order to make a educated guess as to the precise story.