Guess a Quote (5.05.14)

Question Mark Hello there everyone! Every week I try to come up with something interesting to say before posting last week’s winners and this week’s quote. This week’s newsflash is easy. I’d like to wish very happy birthdays to my dear friends Lindsey and Melody! Are any of you May babies as well?

Last week’s quote drew a surprising number of guesses! Who knew so many people grew up with Wilbur the pig and his spider friend Charlotte? That’s right. All of you were correct. Last week’s quote came from Charlotte’s Web, by E.B. White. Melody, R.G. Nairam, CJ,  Morgan Huneke, OnionTea, Elisabeth Sullivan, Dirk, Emily Ruth, starshining4ever, narniahannah, Kiri Liz, Elisheva, Spencer R., Becky B., and Ella all got it right.  That’s 15 of you! I believe that’s a new record for correct guesses on a Guess a Quote.

Now, here’s this week’s quote. It comes to you compliments of Emily Ruth, who recommended it. She says it’s her favorite quote from a popular children’s classic. This book has been reviewed here, and I’m pretty sure it’s been the subject of a previous Guess a Quote as well.

You were thinking? How dare you think! What were you thinking?

1. Emily Ruth

/  May 5, 2014

Well, you know I know…

2. I’m a May baby, but I don’t think I have time for a birthday this year. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Oh, well.
    I have to admit, I have no idea what book this quote is from. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ
    Again, oh well. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Well, Happy birthday! You should celebrate by making a hat for yourself. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Sadly, I don’t have time for anything extra. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ My aunt’s baby shower is this month, and then there’s Mother’s day and just… I don’t know. I’m busy and I’m behind. ๐Ÿ˜›

3. It’s A Little Princess, though the credit for figuring it out goes to my youngest sister. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Annie Hawthorne

/  May 6, 2014

*thinks hard* The Wind in the Willows?

5. Seems like I heard something similar to this in a movie version of “A Little Princess” :-/

6. Becky B.

/  May 11, 2014

Ah, yes, “A Little Princess” … didn’t we already cover this one in a Guess a Quote? (I’m not protesting you understand, just inquiring ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Though I don’t really *like* this quote, I appreciate that the authoress put it in there. Nearly every movie rendition of this book I’ve seen had a rather one-dimensional portrayal of Miss Minchin, but this quote is one example of how much more complete a character – in fact, a person – she is, rather than just passing her off as purely spiteful. Yes, she’s narrow minded, but she’s more unsettled by her pupil than anything else. She’s a woman that needs to be in control; has fought her whole life to gain a position of authority, and now one little girl is challenging her role, and (what has become) her nature. No wonder she’s angrily alarmed when she hears someone is “thinking” unpredictable and uncontrollable thoughts!

Sorry about the sudden literary analysis soliloquy, Leah… can I blame it on being homeschooled? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Emily Ruth

/  May 12, 2014

The author was not known for creating characters with wells of depth. That really wasn’t much her thing. The character in question is a characature of her occupation. She was given the vices that were commonly seen by the author to contrast the main character’s innocence and purity of heart. The character in question is an evil person, and such evil people do exist in the world. The institution that these events transpired in was by no means even remotely as bad as other similar institutions of that day and age. Anyhow, I believe that I dislike the character in question just as the author intended me to.