Guess a Quote (4.28.14)

Question MarkHello everyone! Another week is upon us. Anyone else caught up in a flurry of spring events? May promises to be a busy month for me with church events, several birthdays, and a friend’s wedding!

Anyway. Last week’s quote came from The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett. CJ and Emily Ruth both got it right. Do any of you have a favorite movie version of the story?

Here’s the quote for this week. It’s from another popular children’s book. If you’ve read it or watched the movie I think it’ll be pretty obvious.

โ€œYou have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that.โ€

1. Melody

/  April 28, 2014

It’s got to be Charlotte’s Web. ๐Ÿ™‚ I can’t remember if I’ve ever actually read the book…but I like the story a lot!

2. Charlotte’s Web. ๐Ÿ™‚

/  April 28, 2014

Charlotte’s Web. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Charlotte’s Web. I had thought last week’s might be The Secret Garden, but the “my lad” part made me think that was wrong. I don’t know if I’ve found a satisfactory movie. I know I’ve found unsatisfactory ones.

• I used to find that so frustrating with movies. Sometimes I still do, but I tend to be more forgiving towards movies that vary from the book now.

• Emily Ruth

/  April 28, 2014

It’s easier to find a good adaptation of the Secret Garden than of A Little Princess…

• That’s very true. We may have found a decent one of The Secret Garden when I was little, but it was so long ago I don’t really remember. I’m pretty sure we haven’t found a good movie of A Little Princess. But it’s even harder to find any adaptation of Little Lord Fauntleroy. I am getting a little more forgiving, though . . . some of the time.

• Have you guys seen the Movie Comparison I did for A Little Princess? I’ve seen two versions of The Secret Garden, but I’ve never managed to make it through the book so I can’t vote on the accuracy. Have you seen the old version of Little Lord Fauntleroy that has Mickey Rooney in it? That one was pretty good.

• I’m not sure which version of Little Lord Fauntleroy I saw, whichever one was on Netflix. They don’t seem to be very available. I’ve seen the first two versions of A Little Princess on your comparison, and I pretty much agree with your analysis. Does the third one have the French lesson in it?

5. OnionTea

/  April 28, 2014

Charlotte’s Web.

6. Definitely Charlotte’s Web. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Dirk

/  April 28, 2014

Charlotte’s Web?

8. Emily Ruth

/  April 28, 2014

Dur… Charlotte’s Web. I think that even people who haven’t read the book or seen the movie would guess that! ๐Ÿ˜€

9. Charlotte’s Web. Only saw the movie. Cute, but message seemed a little heavy for kids.

10. Charlotte’s Web! Man, it’s been a long time since I’ve read or seen it. It used to make me cry when I was little. ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜‰

11. Charlotte’s Web! Wow, is that a blast from the past! ๐Ÿ˜€

12. It is definitely Charlotte’s Web. Loved that book as a kid!

/  May 2, 2014

Hmm. I don’t recognize it but I’m going to guess Charlotte’s Web. I’ve never read it but I know there’s a spider in it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

14. Becky B.

/  May 2, 2014

Aww, Charlotte’s Web! Sweet memories… Trumpet of the Swan is my other favorite book by that author ๐Ÿ™‚

That was easy… ๐Ÿ˜‰

15. Ella

/  May 4, 2014

Recognized this the first time I read your post but forgot to comment – Charlotte’s web ๐Ÿ™‚ Read it at least three times, seen the movie (which i loooovvveee) at least as many times and have a special edition copy of the book with glossy pictures and named a spider in a kitchen window charlotte. I could be obsessed. But I’m sure none of that surprises you XD